I somehow got the insane idea last year that it would be an amazing experience to make my children feel more special on their birthday. This was very noble and had good intentions but the insanity began when I decided that I would bake doughnuts the morning of each person's birthday, to start the day off celebrating! Little did I know how time consuming and insane this would be! As I woke up at way-too-early hours to make said doughnuts, I found myself becoming more and more cross as the minutes flew by. I began to cruse myself for ever starting this horrible tradition and wondering if I had still had time to run to the store to buy doughnuts that might actually taste like a doughnut!
Lesson learned when my son sat down (finally!!) to a breakfast and was so thrilled and happy to see his doughnuts! The insanity will continue to rule!
(Let's be honest...its already insanity here...
what's a little more!)
My son's birthday cake
I have learned that I am no good at decorating cakes or baking them! Most of my cakes consist of ice cream sandwiches or sad attempts at decorating. I must have missed the Decorating-Cakes Talent line when they were giving out mom powers!
Sigh....
Again, my son taught me a valuable lesson! He was thrilled with my attempts and felt very loved and special on his special day...and that was after all the main objective!
TENDER MERCY MOMENT:
The weather actually turned warm and my kids headed out to the great outdoors for some much needed running and playing! My heart simply melted when I heard the laughter of them playing together and with their new puppy! It was one of those moments that I want to reserve in my memory for when I feel there is little hope in my parenting abilities!
Also, my awesome brother and sister showed up early for the family birthday party and helped me clean my house before the rest of the family arrived!
.jpg)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Way to go on the homemade doughnuts -- they look so yummy!
Post a Comment